- 1 in 5 babies is born to a mother without a high school diploma
- 24% of children under 6 live in poverty
- 30% of children under 6 live in single parent families
- 63% of children under 6 are in families where both parents work outside of the home
- Nearly 60% of all childcare centers pay preschool teachers between $6 and $8 per hour
- 56% of children in 5 year old kindergarten are on free or reduced priced lunch
- 21-41% of all kindergarten students do not consistently demonstrate the skills necessary for success in the 1st grade
Become A Partner....
Many partners and organizations have supported First Steps' efforts with generous donations of funds and volunteer time which allows First Steps to build on its ability to improve school readiness for young children
Give your Time....
To find out more about volunteer opportunities for young children in your community contact Orangeburg County First Step's program staff at 803-533-6444 or 533-6440.
Mail your tax deductible check or money order to:
Orangeburg County First Steps
PO Box 451
Orangeburg, SC 29116
Please contact Sonia E. Gass, Executive Director, for more detailed information on giving to OCFS at 803-533-6441.
The Orangeburg County First Steps Partnership Board encourages the public to submit nominations for the available seats. Nominees should reside or be employed in Orangeburg County. The available seats are in the categories of:
- Parent of a Pre-School Child
- Transportation Provider
- Faith Community
- Early Childhood Education
Nominees should have a commitment to the education, the healthy development and the well-being of young children ages birth to 5 years old. Nominations should be submitted to Orangeburg County First Steps: PO Box 451, Orangeburg, SC 29116. Nomination forms are available on our webpage and at Orangeburg County First Steps (Brookdale Elementary School) 394 Brookdale Drive, Orangeburg.